Sunday, September 14, 2008

Bagley Avenue Workshop (formerly known as 58 Bagley Avenue Shop, and 58 Bagley Avenue Shed)

In 1893, Henry Ford and wife Clara moved into a rented house at 58 Bagley Avenue. At that time, Ford was an engineer for the Edison Illuminating Company of Detroit.
This replica of the Detroit Shed/workshop that was located in the backyard of the home where Ford built his first car in 1896 was constructed inside the Village in 1933, although, in many ways, it is not totally a replica.
To get his Quadricycle out of the shed, Ford had to knock out the bricks around the doorway.

Although the original shed was torn down some years after, Ford located the house in which the bricks and doors had been used. By building a new wall for the owners of the house, Ford was allowed to remove the old shed bricks and doors for his reconstruction.

A replica of the Quadicycle sits inside the shed. The original 1st auto by Ford is inside of the Henry Ford Museum.


.

No comments: