When the grandfather of Thomas Edison led his family into Upper Canada in 1811, he settled in Vienna, Ontario, near the shore of Lake Erie. In 1816, their log cabin was replaced by this homestead, the first and for many years the only frame structure in that region. In this home, the father of the great inventor, Samuel, grew to manhood, and married Nancy Elliot, the village school teacher, in the Sunday parlor in 1828.
When his arrest was sought because of his participation in the political rebellion of 1837, the house was ransacked by the military. By that time, Samuel Edison had fled to the United States.
Young Tom had returned to his ancestral home over many summers and fondly recalled the large, simple, farm-type kitchen.
It was moved to Greenfield Village in 1933.
For some reason, the folks at the Village seem to want to show this house as it looked in 1915 - 99 years after it was originally built.
But, even of that 1915 era shown, they have done a tremendous job in their presentation.
For more information on Edison at Greenfield Village, please click the links below:
Edison Fort Meyers Laboratory
Edison Illuminating Company
Edison Menlo Park Laboratory
Edison Menlo Park Glass House
Edison Menlo Park Machine Shop
Edison Menlo Park Woodworking Shop
Edison Menlo Park Office and Library