This barn was built in 1863 - the same year as Henry's birth - by Henry's father, William, at Springwells Township, Michigan. It was originally located across the road from the family homestead and stored grain and hay and, at times, tools and livestock.
In 1933, it was moved to the Chicago World's Fair where it formed part of the Ford exhibit housing soybeans in the Century of Progress Exposition. When the exposition closed, the barn was brought to Greenfield Village and re-erected in 1935.
This barn continues to house the horses that pull the carriages filled with the visitors to the Village. The horses are groomed and harnessed here as well.