(From the book "The Wright Brothers: from Bicycle to Biplane" by Fred C. Fisk and Marlin W. Todd).
The Wright Brothers began their bicycle business in 1892. The building consisted of a salesroom, office, store room, repair room, and machine shop.
Money earned from the bicycle business financed the brothers' flying experiments. They built their early gliders and planes in this building, often referred to as the "Birthplace of Aviation." And, yes, it was here that they constructed their first successful plane.
Much of the original machinery that the brothers used to manufacture the first airplane had been located with the assistance of Orville Wright, and was re-installed in the shop in the exact location when originally in the building in 1903. The wind tunnel, however, which the brothers used in making many of their discoveries in aerodynamics, had to be reconstructed.
When brought to Greenfield Village in 1937, this brick shop received the same attention to detail as the brother's home: Orville and his one-time assistant Charles E. Taylor, who began working for the Wrights in 1901 and built the engine for their first plane, studied the surveyed drawings for accuracy, along with architect Ed Cutler and Mr. Ford.
For most of 1937 the construction took place on the home and shop until finally, on April 16, 1938, the dedication ceremony commenced. This included a banquet for the dignitaries at the Clinton Inn (Eagle Tavern), including Orville Wright, which was broadcast to a radio audience.
Because of all involved in the reconstruction process, the Wright Brothers collection was meticulously restored.